Our DUI Lawyers Fight and Win Driving Under the Influence Charges
What is a DUI?
A DUI (Driving Under the Influence), or what most people refer to colloquially as “drunk driving,” is a serious offense. It’s also one of the most common crimes that people commit. Lots of law-abiding citizens have had one too many at a bar or a party, and then wind up in the backseat of a police car after attempting to drive home.
A DUI charge is not exclusive to alcohol; it can apply to driving under the influence of any illegal or legal substance that impairs your ability to drive, such as marijuana or other drugs.
How Can I Resolve A DUI?
The Kavinoky Law Firm is one of California’s leading experts in defending DUIs for alcohol and drugs. When you are pulled over for a DUI, or you get into an accident while under the influence, you need to contact a DUI lawyer as soon as possible.
We’re not going to pull punches here – you made that decision to get behind the wheel when you were not thinking clearly, and it was the wrong move. We can help clear your name and your driver’s record with some quick action. There are certain steps involved in making sure you get the best DUI defense:
- Call us.
- We can help you get released from jail, either on your own recognizance or through a reputable bail bond firm.
- There are two components to a DUI – the criminal charges and the DMV case. We’ll request a DMV hearing to prevent an automatic suspension of your driver’s license. You have ten days from the date of arrest, including weekends and holidays, to request a DMV hearing, so we will jump right on it.
We go over all the evidence
- Did law enforcement conduct their roadside investigation properly?
- Were you observed driving erratically?
- Was your appearance consistent with someone who is impaired? Did you have bloodshot eyes, dilated pupils or slurred speech?
- Were the tests you were given, such as a breathalyzer or chemical test, accurate? Did you refuse to take a chemical test?
- Were you given a Field Sobriety Test (walking a straight line, reciting your ABCs, etc.) and if yes, what was the outcome?
- Did you make any incriminating statements?
- Is this your first offense?
- Medications combined with certain food or medical conditions can affect the test readings.
There is no immediate test, such as a breathalyzer, to test for drug intoxication. When you are booked, you will likely be given a blood or urine test to determine the type of drug used and levels in your system. But just because you have marijuana or some other substance in your system, it does not mean you are guilty of a DUI. The police officer will make a determination to arrest you based on other factors such as erratic driving or behavior.
In many cases, there are weaknesses in the prosecution’s case. An experienced DUI lawyer, who specializes in driving under the influence of alcohol or drugs, will be able to fight these charges. Many times, there is no solid evidence that the drugs in your system significantly affected your driving ability, or it’s possible that the effects of the drug had worn off before you got behind the wheel.
Being arrested for driving under the influence is frightening, embarrassing, and life-changing. The criminal defense lawyers of The Kavinoky Law Firm are seasoned and experienced attorneys who will treat you with compassion and make your case a priority. We have successfully defended people like you, who have made a mistake and deserve a chance to turn their life around. We have offices located throughout California, so our services are always nearby. And since many DUIs happen in the middle of the night, we are on call to serve you.
If you have been arrested for a DUI and you realize that your drug or alcohol use is out of control and has led to this moment, you need access to both legal assistance and rehabilitation services. Our founder, Darren Kavinoky, is a renowned criminal defense lawyer as well as a Certified Intervention Specialist. It’s our goal to help you resolve your DUI and get you the help you need so this does not happen again.